Is removing a roaming profiles from windows 7 the same as removing roaming profiles from XP?
The answer would be a big NO as windows 7 handles roaming profiles differently than XP.
In XP you can delete/rename the c:\documents and settings\(username) and get the user to login and all will be well.
If you do the same type of thing on a windows 7 pc delete/rename the c:\users\(username) and get the user to login your user will get the following message
*You have been logged on with a temporary profile* in the bottom right hand corner of the screen
Do not worry there are two ways around this problem
Microsoft has release a fixit executable to correct the problem link below along with KB article for the issue
If you wish to do it long hand then you will need to do the following
- Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click Change settings.
- In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
- Under User Profiles, click Settings.
- In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.
- Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:
- In the left pane, look for the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number. then click each folder and locate ProfileImagePath from the right pane, double click to verify that this is the user account profile that has the error.
- Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
- Restart the PC
Top Ten Posts
- Commands to shut down and reboot your Raspberry Pi
- Simple Webcam Viewer Software for Windows 7
- Raspberry pi - First Login, Starting the Gui and installing applications
- How to remove roaming profiles from windows 7 correctly
- How to correct Windows 8 app stuck on pending
- Installing Git on your Raspberry Pi
- Repair .NET Framework on a Windows computer.
- How to connect to a TightVNC Server using TightVNC viewer
- WinRoboCopy a handy GUI front end for RoboCopy
- See how to Instal LemonPOS on the Raspberry Pi
- Can you give these guys a home ? - If not please retweet and help them find a home - anim-mates.org.uk/cats.html http://t.co/leXHdG2ANk 1 week ago
- RT @lazygamereviews: Crap... Such a legendary man. Christopher Lee, Horror Icon and Movie Villain, Dies at 93 hollywoodreporter.com/news/christoph… 3 weeks ago
- RT @lootcrate: RT @NerdApproved: The New Bandai Figuarts Hulkbuster Is A Thing Of Beauty #Avengers ow.ly/NipJ3 http://t.co/23y3w… 1 month ago
- RT @lootcrate: He's Number One! RT @NerdApproved: Fan Gives William T. Riker His Own Show And It’s Insane ow.ly/Normn http://t.c… 1 month ago
- RT @ZDNet: The Importance of Managing Privileged Accounts... bit.ly/1Alv1DM 1 month ago
Total Blog Views
- 434,297 hits
Blogs I Follow
- Python & Minecraft on Raspberry Pi!
- Raspberry Pi Kid
- Naked Security
- Ramblings From The Litter Tray of Life
- Grumpy IT Girl
- Dustin Software
- Pinoy Tekkie
- Daniel Amesberger
- I Kissed My Date Goodnight
- Programming My Rasberry Pi
- Chris Ainger's Blog
- ITtechExec: Protecting Tech Careers Since 2001
- The Life of Me