Is removing a roaming profiles from windows 7 the same as removing roaming profiles from XP?
The answer would be a big NO as windows 7 handles roaming profiles differently than XP.
In XP you can delete/rename the c:\documents and settings\(username) and get the user to login and all will be well.
If you do the same type of thing on a windows 7 pc delete/rename the c:\users\(username) and get the user to login your user will get the following message
*You have been logged on with a temporary profile* in the bottom right hand corner of the screen
Do not worry there are two ways around this problem
Microsoft has release a fixit executable to correct the problem link below along with KB article for the issue
If you wish to do it long hand then you will need to do the following
- Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
- Click Change settings.
- In the System Properties dialog box, click the Advanced tab.
- Under User Profiles, click Settings.
- In the User Profiles dialog box, select the profile that you want to delete, click Delete, and then click OK.
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start search box, and then press ENTER.
- Locate and then expand the following registry subkey:
- In the left pane, look for the folder name starting with S-1-5 (SID key) followed by a long number. then click each folder and locate ProfileImagePath from the right pane, double click to verify that this is the user account profile that has the error.
- Right-click the SID that you want to remove, and then click Delete.
- Restart the PC
Top Ten Posts
- Commands to shut down and reboot your Raspberry Pi
- Raspberry pi - First Login, Starting the Gui and installing applications
- Simple Webcam Viewer Software for Windows 7
- Simple Webcam Viewer Software for Windows 7 Updated to Version V2.2
- Installing Git on your Raspberry Pi
- How to setup a raspcontrol web control centre for your Raspberry pi
- See how to Instal LemonPOS on the Raspberry Pi
- WinRoboCopy a handy GUI front end for RoboCopy
- How to correct Windows 8 app stuck on pending
- How to extract drivers from .exe packages
- Next generation processors will require Microsoft Windows 10 tek.io/2cB9Red via @techrepublic 1 week ago
- Very thin but friendly cat recently found in Hollingbourne Road near M&S #Snodland #lostcat #lostpet #kentmessenger https://t.co/Pg4cYEHRS4 1 month ago
- Sick and tired of modern Windows? Upgrade to Windows 3.1 today – in your web browser theregister.co.uk/2016/02/11/int… via @theregister 7 months ago
- Ready for a nostalgia kick? Usborne has put its old computer books on the web for free theregister.co.uk/2016/02/09/usb… via @theregister 7 months ago
- Simple Webcam Viewer Software for Windows 7 Updated to Version V2.2 frustrateditengineer.wordpress.com/2015/10/29/sim… 11 months ago
Total Blog Views
- 601,305 hits
Blogs I Follow
- Python & Minecraft on Raspberry Pi!
- Raspberry Pi Kid
- Naked Security
- Ramblings From The Litter Tray of Life
- Grumpy IT Girl
- Dustin Software
- Pinoy Tekkie
- Daniel Amesberger
- I Kissed My Date Goodnight
- Programming My Rasberry Pi
- Chris Ainger's Blog
- ITtechExec: Protecting Tech Careers Since 2001
- The Life of Me